Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Download by calendar date rather than a 24-hour counter?  (Read 228 times)

Paul_R

• View Profile
Download by calendar date rather than a 24-hour counter?
« on: January 05, 2017, 04:46:38 AM »
Having spent 15 years as a computer programmer (for business, not websites) I know that there are various routines that come into play when someone is accessing a computer, whether business or through the internet.  This website must have a tracker attached to each person's account that identifies when a person last downloaded a file.  That's one way to create frustration.  You end up with people who are watching the clock to see when they can start downloading again and it gets later and later and later. In fact, I have 3 tunes ready to download as soon as it's possible, rapid-fire, one after the other.

Now, if it was based on calendar date, then this wouldn't happen at all.  I downloaded on the 1st, so I can't download again until the 2nd, any part of the 2nd.  Now people aren't watching a clock and getting frustrated waiting. Every computer accesses the website from a location and a time zone.  Or it's the date of your servers.  Either way would work better for everyone. Whoever is handling your updates to your website could probably make the change fairly easy.  A calendar date is mm/dd/yy or mm/dd/yyyy.

So now, if I downloaded around 11pm on the 3rd, I don't have to wait a full 24 hours to download again, but I can now download any time on the 4th. It shouldn't be a difficult adjustment since your site automatically records the time and date of the "last" download.  The time can be removed and then it's all about the date.

Just a thought!

Yurichъ

• View Profile
    • Music For The Masses!
Re: Download by calendar date rather than a 24-hour counter?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 02:29:24 PM »
Interesting, thanks for the input! Looks like a disadvantage for Pacific area users (Asia, Australia, USA etc...)
USB здесь! Здесь все: Тагир, Стас, Юрич, Турбо и Эдуард Суровый 

Paul_R

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 01:07:46 AM »
I don't know if it would be a disadvantage for anyone if it went by just the calendar date and not the time.  Everyone is on a clock and it's recorded here for every person who downloads.  But, the benefit is that if a person downloaded 3 tunes today, the 5th, they could download again anytime on the 6th, just 3 tunes.  So, that could be anytime after midnight or the following day in the afternoon, whenever it's convenient for the downloader and then there's no clock-watching.

I'm pretty sure that the website already records the date and the time of the 3rd download and then locks the account for the next 24 hours.  So, if the clock was taken out of the picture, then it's just a calendar date.  I would think that it could be done fairly easily since it's only removing one data field (time) and checking only one piece of information, calendar date, which it is already keeping a record of.

Niktar

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 05:01:31 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion,  guys.
We will consider it.

As for now it works like this:
You download the first track at any given time. After that you have 24 hours to download 2 more tracks.
This system has been working very good so far and it seemed like a good choice rather than calendar based limit.
However I got the point you're trying to make with the limit attached to the date.

To say the truth, this will be a more complicated way as time zones will become a factor, while at the moment it's conveniently not taken into the account ;)

We'll discuss it with the team anyway.

Check out these great video guitar lessons at GuitarTricks.com
Copyright 2016 - How To Create a Backing Track NEW! - Contact - ToS - Privacy - Lessons - FAQ - Custom Backing Tracks