Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Telecaster String Action At The Nut - Question.  (Read 2546 times)

Kenni

• View Profile
Telecaster String Action At The Nut - Question.
« on: December 27, 2016, 01:32:56 am »
Hi there :)

Happy holidays to everyone!

This christmas I've been working on my Telecaster, which really needed some care and work!
Most of all it needed at fret level, then a re-crown and lastly a polish to shine it all up.
There were some major problems with the frets, I was getting some nasty buzzing when fretting several strings.
I also noticed that two frets sounded exactly the same....
I took care of it, all the work is done now and the guitar turned out absolutely amazing!
No more buzzing and no frets sounding the same anymore!

I did a final setup on the guitar too and got a very low action - really great!
The guitar feels like butter now and the sound is just the way I like it!

After the final setup I checked the nut and the string action at the nut, and I suspect that some of the nut slots are a little too high..
I've recorded a measurement of the action at the nut as it is at the moment.
I've used feeler gauges, stacking them and sliding them under the strings. Placing the feeler gauges on the fret tops and measuring to the bottom of the strings.

The measurements I've got is:

E - .020"
A - .022"
D - .026"
G - .030"
B - .028"
e - .030"

As far as I can see, I think the low E string is fine. We generally want the strings to go a little lower on the other strings, right?
I've read that at Stewmac they go for something like this for the action at the nut:

E - .020"
A - .018"
D - .016"
G - .014"
B - .012"
e - .010"

Would you guys say the same, that the rest of the string slots need to be cut deeper?

THANKS!  ;D

Yurichъ

• View Profile
    • Music For The Masses!
Re: Telecaster String Action At The Nut - Question.
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 06:16:33 pm »
Hi Kenni,

Reads like your Tele has a twisted neck or reverse nut. A couple of photos would clear the situation.

A warped neck looks like this and it's a disaster to fix. I hope it's not your case

USB здесь! Здесь все: Тагир, Стас, Юрич, Турбо и Эдуард Суровый 

Kenni

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 07:07:23 pm »
Hi Kenni,

Reads like your Tele has a twisted neck or reverse nut. A couple of photos would clear the situation.

A warped neck looks like this and it's a disaster to fix. I hope it's not your case

Hi there :)

Thanks for your reply.

Well, first off, why would you mention anything about the neck being warped/twisted, when I asked for string action at the nut?
I can tell that the neck isn't warped or twisted, it plays very well, but I suspect that the strings could be filed a little lower, that's all.

Cheers :)

Yurichъ

• View Profile
    • Music For The Masses!
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 09:27:07 am »
Well, first off, why would you mention anything about the neck being warped/twisted, when I asked for string action at the nut?

Because that's one of the possible reasons the 1st string is higher than the 6th (.030" vs .020"). Okay then, file the nut or have it replaced  8)

Kenni

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 12:25:54 pm »

Because that's one of the possible reasons the 1st string is higher than the 6th (.030" vs .020"). Okay then, file the nut or have it replaced  8)

Okay, I see, but that would be the very last thing I would check for, because obviously not many nuts, and their nut slots, are cut properly right out of the factory, so that would be my very first inspection  :)

Thanks for your input.

Kenni.

Yurichъ

• View Profile
    • Music For The Masses!
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2016, 06:34:15 pm »
Happy holidays!

Kenni

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2016, 10:45:03 pm »
Happy holidays too, mate  :)  ;D

Check out these great video guitar lessons at GuitarTricks.com
Copyright 2017 - How To Create a Backing Track NEW! - Contact - ToS - Privacy - Lessons - FAQ - Custom Backing Tracks