Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Limit on the number of downloads a day.  (Read 94179 times)

Webmaster

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Limit on the number of downloads a day.
« on: October 27, 2016, 10:50:30 am »
As most of you guys know, GuitarBackingTrack.com has been dealing with licensing and royalty issues for awhile now.
You can learn more about this situation here and here. We are making good progress with the music publishers who own and control the copyrights of the songs that our backing tracks use, which is positive.

However, offering unlimited, free-to-download backing tracks to everyone is not a sustainable business. We need to pay a significant royalty for each download of a backing track. In order to help reduce our costs and try to keep GuitarBackingTrack.com free we are forced to limit the number of downloads to 3 per day. As always though, you can stream BTs online as much as you like absolutely free and with no restriction!

Rest assured, we're planning to keep GuitarBackingTrack.com free in the future and are working hard to add new features and functions to improve the site. If you haven't seen it yet, we recently implemented a BT comments section so that you could say thanks to the Authors and share your opinions about their tracks. More new cool free features are coming in near future!

We welcome your input and thoughts on this issue. We are trying to figure out how we can provide a site that meets your needs as musicians while simultaneously balancing the licensing and royalty challenges. What do you do with the backing tracks once you download them? Do you just listen to them and see if they meet your needs and then delete the ones you don't like? Do you download a bunch at once and then listen later? Getting a better notion of how you guys use downloaded BTs may help us work out a better way to manage royalties and licensing issues, so we hope to get some feedback from you.

Thanks for being with GuitarBackingTrack.com and for your understanding!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 10:53:15 am by Webmaster »

Yurichъ

• View Profile
    • Music For The Masses!
Re: Limit on the number of downloads a day.
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 12:16:03 pm »
WOW! No good, but understandable of course...  :'(

you can stream BTs online as much as you like absolutely free and with no restriction!

Positive. I use BTs for education and teaching purposes, I only download after listening to a bunch of tracks of a certain song/band. So, if needs be, I am ready to pay for downloading - this site is the best source I've ever seen online.

Cheers!!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 01:43:17 pm by Yurichъ »
USB здесь! Здесь все: Тагир, Стас, Юрич, Турбо и Эдуард Суровый 

Earthling

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 03:19:48 pm »
3 per day seems perfectly reasonable. Not sure if the "Jamtracks" should have that restriction though. They're royalty-free, no?

What do you do with the backing tracks once you download them? Do you just listen to them and see if they meet your needs and then delete the ones you don't like? Do you download a bunch at once and then listen later?

I play along with it in the browser and if I like it, I download it and keep it. I've gotten just over 400 so far (over the last 4 years, not all at once). I use them on a daily basis. I play them through Guitar Rig as I play along. This allows me to hear both the backing track and my playing through headphones so I can rock out anytime I want to without disturbing anyone.

BrianT

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2016, 05:21:56 pm »
I use them to improve my lead and rhythm guitar playing at home.
I can see a royalty issue if I were to use them commercially and would be prepared to pay but if these tracks are not by the original artists then it does not make sense to me. Should I pay a royalty every time I play or sing these songs to myself? Should a music teacher pay a royalty if they teach you a song?
I was a pro musician at one time so I understand the royalty issues but......

Anyway great site, and what about the content here? should contributors be paid?

Maybe I don't get it........anyway..3 a day is ok with me as I don't have more time to download and learn that much in a day.

Edit:
Ok I have read the issues here with the announcements thread and I hope this is resolved to the benefit of all the young players out there playing in their bedrooms who can use this resource to become musicians. We all didn't have local friends to form bands to jam with at an early age and this site fits the bill, I wish this was available in the 60/70's.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 05:39:05 pm by BrianT »
"Without deviation progress is not possible. "
Frank Zappa

ector888

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2016, 02:40:21 am »
thats bad  :-\ i actually try  to download more tracks but it only allowme one for today , but the comment above says 3 at day ,...  so its kind of confusing , but still  this is the bests site i have ever found on the web.   thanks  to all for all...

Yurichъ

• View Profile
    • Music For The Masses!
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2016, 12:03:06 pm »
Hi BrianT!

3 a day is ok with me as I don't have more time to download and learn that much in a day.

I agree with you - 3 a day is more than enough for whatever purpose. I watched the Wacken open-air this year in Germany - most bands played for 1 hour, that is 9-10 songs live with blah blah blah in between to cheer the audience. Headliners like Iron Maiden played for 2+ hours, but that's a whole different level - superstars are allowed to do that, you know  ;)

To my opinion, 9 to 11 BTs in your pocket make a solid programme you can perform for about a year on. You also need time to learn those songs for live shows. Sure, I am not talking about bedroom guitar players - a whole different story.

I wish this was available in the 60/70's

Internet was invented a bit later than that  ;D

Cheers!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 04:48:09 pm by Yurichъ »

Webmaster

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2016, 12:48:30 pm »
Hey guys thanks you all for your positive attitude and your feedback!
As I said we're looking for ways to improve the situation and we'll be surely providing more info on the progress with licensing and royalties!

thats bad  :-\ i actually try  to download more tracks but it only allowme one for today , but the comment above says 3 at day ,...  so its kind of confusing , but still  this is the bests site i have ever found on the web.   thanks  to all for all...

Please check again, you should have 3 downloads available a day :)

Jeff h

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2016, 12:51:46 pm »
Hey guys thanks you all for your positive attitude and your feedback!
As I said we're looking for ways to improve the situation and we'll be surely providing more info on the progress with licensing and royalties!

Please check again, you should have 3 downloads available a day :)

What time of day does the count roll over?

etcetc

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2016, 03:17:20 pm »
Do not see how limiting helps if a site violates the law by allowing free unlicensed downloads.
If not, what is the reason for limiting.
Probably you will end up by closing the site  :-\

Yurichъ

• View Profile
    • Music For The Masses!
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2016, 05:51:57 pm »
What time of day does the count roll over?

At CET midnight in my place (Greenwich+1 hour)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 05:54:31 pm by Yurichъ »

Mykyndryd

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2016, 08:33:42 pm »
3 per day is reasonable especially if you can still stream unlimited.

It makes auditioning the tracks before downloading more important so it it's more than workable.

This site absolutely rocks !!!

Cheers.
Mike.

gerryincanada

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2016, 01:57:51 am »
I can understand in a way, but only if they are true recreations of the original ... and sometimes they aren't; however, GBT is a great source/resource for those of us wanting to just learn how to play, or improve, lead guitar for example.

3 a day ... sure

And if it comes up, perhaps a minimal charge

Yeah, I'm game.

andrew625

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2016, 10:53:28 am »
we are forced to limit the number of downloads to 3 per day.

Saw this coming the minute "Copyright" was mentioned on this site. I deeply appreciate the OGs for fighting so hard to maintain this site. I knew this kind of resources won't forever stay 100% free. Fight the good fight, but I'm expecting that the will one day become paid subscription based. :'(

If you haven't seen it yet, we recently implemented a BT comments section so that you could say thanks to the Authors and share your opinions about their tracks. More new cool free features are coming in near future!

TH-Th-TH-Th-TH-Th-TH-Th-TH-Th-THANKKKKKK YOUUUUUUU!!!!!! Been waiting for this for FARRRRRR too long. Some backingtracks are straight up crap and there needs to be a place for these concerns.

ROCK ON GBT.COM!!!! <3

danali

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2016, 09:54:24 am »
Yep here we go again - Join The Club   

Pay Pay Pay Pay Pay.$$$$$$$$$$$

Webmaster

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2016, 01:26:28 pm »
Yep here we go again - Join The Club   

Pay Pay Pay Pay Pay.$$$$$$$$$$$

We're trying to keep the website free.
Unfortunately, paying royalties is something we have to face and deal with.
This website has an ad driven monetization system which means we're covering the licensing fees with our revenue generated from ads.
No payments from users.

Check out these great video guitar lessons at GuitarTricks.com
Copyright 2017 - How To Create a Backing Track NEW! - Contact - ToS - Privacy - Lessons - FAQ - Custom Backing Tracks