Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New onsite player  (Read 123400 times)

Webmaster

• Administrator
    • View Profile
New onsite player
« on: November 04, 2012, 03:02:35 PM »
Hi guys,

I am working on a new, better onsite player that will work on the majority of platforms/browsers. It is HTML5-based with a fallback option to Flash for older browsers and it is based on JPlayer (the old one was Flash-only).

You can access the new player by clicking the "Beta-test our new onsite player" link below the old player when playing a track.

Please try it out and let me know what you think. Feedback can be given in the forum (just reply to this post) or via the contact form. Even if it works fine please let me know that you have tried it.

The new player is supposed to work as before, but I have gotten rid of a few Flash-related bugs the old player had. Since it is HTML5-based it also works on Android and iOS devices. And I now have the opportunity to add more features in the future.

A quick runthrough of the functionality (how it is supposed to work):
  • Play/pause button starts and stops playing.
  • Stop button stops playing and returns to the start of the track.
  • AB button sets an A-B loop. First click sets A. Second click sets B and starts the loop. Third click stops looping.
  • The progress bar can be clicked to jump to that time in the track.
  • Below the progress bar is a volume bar that can be clicked to chenge volume (This does not work on mobile devices).

Any suggestions for how to make it better is also welcome.

EDIT: The player is now launched. Please let me know if anything isn't working as it should!

/Oddgeir
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 01:13:25 AM by Webmaster »

manimal

• why ? because if you didn't it would be why not.
    • View Profile
Re: BETA: New onsite player
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 10:13:14 PM »
Well done, O.G.
the A-B addition is very useful when learning a new track,
everything else works great
cheers
M
Manimal, because everything else is feminal

Webmaster

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: BETA: New onsite player
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 01:12:33 AM »
Thanks for the feedback manimal. I have done some further improvements and launched it as the main player now. Hopefully I will get some more feedback now.

/Oddgeir

hiltonatracing

• View Profile
Re: New onsite player
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 09:40:36 PM »
I think it's good. I don't know if it's because my brother isn't using internet but it seems to be loading quicker than it used to do

godzilla1088

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 04:53:50 AM »
Player no longer works on my kindle fire or android phone.  When I press play the song length changes to 40 minutes and never starts.  Works excellent on my laptop though.  Any suggestions.

Webmaster

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 11:12:24 AM »
I have tested this quickly on an Android phone and it seemed to work fine there. I will investigate this further. In the mean time I will set up the old player as a fallback solution for those with issues (will be done later today). Thanks for the feedback!

/Oddgeir

Webmaster

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 08:28:25 PM »
Hi guys,

I have now fixed an Android bug that was causing playback to fail on devices running Android 2.3. I have also tweaked it a bit to try to avoid a IE8 bug that I was not able to recreate locally, but that has been an issue with others using this player.

Please try it out and let me know if it works or not!

hiltonatracing: That is actually more or less expected. In most browsers it does not use flash any more, and I think the old flash-based player introduced quite a bit of sluggishness to the downloading.

Thank you all for your feedback!

/Oddgeir

Chesco C

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 12:15:29 AM »
Just wanted to say, love the new layout, more "modern" if you will. Also, like how the song now stops at the end instead of playing over, lets me do a riff at my own pace rather then rushing trying to beat when the song starts again!.  One thing I wish could be added/ an option was if the play bar was a bit larger so it would make for easier "scrolling" through the parts of the song. Other then that great improvement, will continue to love this site to improve my guitar learning skillzzz!  :)

godzilla1088

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 12:49:34 AM »
Player works again on my kindle fire and phone.  Thanks for the quick response.

Webmaster

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 08:12:44 AM »
Cool, thanks guys. I will have a look at increasing the size of the progress bar.

I am getting reports that it still doesn't work on IE8 on Windows XP. I am having problems recreating this, but will keep trying. Since IE8 doesn't support HTML5 properly the player will fall back on a flash alternative. Thus, an update of the flash player might fix this issue, but I have not yet confirmed that. Let me know if you have any more issues!

/Oddgeir
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 11:45:46 AM by Webmaster »

Webmaster

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2012, 11:47:22 AM »
Ok, we have been able to get one of the IE8 guys up and running again. The problem was an old version of the flash player. If anyone else is experiencing this, please try to update to the latest version fo the flash player. You can do that here:
http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

And let me know if that helps or not.

/Oddgeir

dckstrat90

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2012, 09:12:58 PM »
It's good..I didn't like how it used to keep starting over..very inconvenient when I would be recording. Thanks! Get more Chili Peppers! And try to find Gary Clark Jr.!

uppayton69

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2012, 04:13:12 PM »
I miss the part where the auto player would continue to restart without me having to quit playing to start the song again. can you make that happen again?

Webmaster

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2012, 04:32:21 PM »
Yep, I will reintroduce that. But this time it will be configurable since there are some difference personal preference for this. I tried to implement this during the weekend, but could not find a place for the button. Will try more later.

In the mean time you can use the A-B loop, just press the AB button once when in the start of the track and then once at the end of the track and it will loop between the two points.

/Oddgeir

humboldtguy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2012, 03:59:20 AM »
I just had Ubuntu installed on my computer, and the backing tracks don't seem to work...I get the play screen, but pressing play does nothing. I assume this is something I will have to work out on my end, just wondering if anyone has experience or insight about this. Thanks, and I appreciate this site!

Check out these great video guitar lessons at GuitarTricks.com
Copyright 2017 - How To Create a Backing Track NEW! - Contact - ToS - Privacy - Lessons - FAQ - Custom Backing Tracks