Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Take out the trash!  (Read 1597 times)

musicmaestro

• View Profile
Take out the trash!
« on: February 21, 2019, 06:34:50 pm »
There ought to be some sort of quality control standards for tracks to meet before allowing them to be uploaded to minimize the number of useless, waste of time tracks on here. OMG! If nobody there monitors it and it's all just "anything goes", then maybe add a button in the preview screen for members to click to suggest (or vote) that a junk track be removed. Just think of all the time (collectively) that members waste listening to so many versions of the same song trying to find one that's usable and doesn't sound like crap.

Some ideas for standards should include:

* Bit rates;  minimum 128 (uncompressed) 192 would be even better. (be sure to educate or inform the morons that think converting an existing, low bit rate file to a higher bit rate does nothing but deteriorate the quality, not improve it)
* File naming conventions need to be standardized to simple "Artist - Title" (that's it, nothing more, nothing less, all proper case with no underscores either)
* Intro click tracks need to match the signature and tempo of the song. (works great for resetting the guitar and vocal effects tap tempo to match the song)

It would also be cool or a good idea to:

* Ad a column to show the actual bit rate of the song tracks there are to choose from in the menu.
* Indicate whether the song fades or not. (Instead of having to waste time to play & jump to the end to hear it. (tracks that fade are practically useless for live performance)

Thanks and hope my suggestions were of any merit or worthy of implementing..
Also;  KUDOS! to the members here that DO know what they're doing with the tracks they've uploaded to share.  ROCK ON!

apefist

• View Profile
Re: Take out the trash!
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 03:58:12 am »
For any of us who post here, there has been a learning curve. My earliest tracks are embarrassing to me to the point that I wish they'd be removed. Under the former regime, you could replace your older shitty non compliant files with new improved ones so the old crappy tracks would be gone forever. Now when you try to do that it just uploads the good new one and leaves the crappy one to make sure everyone can see your ass forever. Oh well.

• Bit rates;  minimum 128 (uncompressed) 192 would be even better. (be sure to educate or inform the morons that think converting an existing, low bit rate file to a higher bit rate does nothing but deteriorate the quality, not improve it)
  • Intro click tracks need to match the signature and tempo of the song. (works great for resetting the guitar and vocal effects tap tempo to match the song)

Those were always more or less rules once upon a time. except the minimum bit rate was 320kbps -- the highest bit rate on most converters because everyone agreed tracks should be the least lossy as possible. alas, time passes.

I wish I could send a list to the webmaster of all the tracks I posted I want removed so I can fix them and have the fixed versions as my only contributions but I don't think that's going to happen. I mean, spam posts are running rampant and nobody does anything about them either. Their other site, UltimateGuitar.com is their bread winner site and gets all the attention. I'm actually grateful they still accept contributions here because they've started doing backing tracks on Ultimateguitar that you have to pay for access to them, so that's their priority over this site.

I've modded forums like this one before, I wish they trusted a few of us to make us mods so we could do the kind of maintenance this site needs that they are too busy to do. Like trustees or something.

Oh as for naming the files, I pretty much change the name of every file I DL from here as I DL it. I've gotten used to it so it doesn't really bother me.

I feel your pain but I don't think it will get better here, I'm sorry to share that...cheers!

Charlie_Ramone

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2019, 04:52:47 am »
I found a track that is NOT the song.  Just some random dance music. right here:

https://www.guitarbackingtrack.com/play/bar%C3%B3n_rojo/el_baron_vuela_sobre_inglaterra.htm

there must be a way to FLAG this kind of abuse

Thanks

slinker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2019, 03:12:36 am »
when you run across those, leave a comment on the page and lets make a thread in this section called bad tracks or wrong tracks

Check out these great video guitar lessons at GuitarTricks.com
Copyright 2017 - How To Create a Backing Track NEW! - Contact - ToS - Privacy - Lessons - FAQ - Custom Backing Tracks