Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Amp recommendations?  (Read 18656 times)

verticaltwin

• View Profile
Amp recommendations?
« on: July 10, 2013, 07:39:39 PM »
Hey there... Just a casual player here. I've played on and off (mostly off) for 20+ years, but just goof around and learn a song or part of a song every now and then. Lately I've started to get a bit more serious, especially after discovering the fun of these backing tracks to jam along with! I was getting pretty bored playing guitar alone... now my old little Peavey Backstage amp is getting flaky. It is just a cheap amp I bought in the early 90's and it had some home mods done to it, so I'm not really looking to put anything in to it. Any recommendations on a new amp that will sound good for jamming along with a variety of songs? I mostly play old 80's metal, but do like some blues, and some odd stuff like Cake and Steely Dan, and/or whatever catches my ear at the time.

I use an old Les Paul that a guy gave me when I was a teenager, I think it is a '76 Standard... but I was looking for something hot that had a tremolo, so I bought a like new Ibanez RG5ex1 and love it! I also have a Takamine acoustic with pickup/EQ... plus a couple of bass guitars (Peavey T40 and a cheap Telluride that sounds real good)

I have a couple old pedals, like a Rocktek compressor, DOD stereo digital delay, Boss FX65(?) distortion... but I usually only use an old Digitech RP7 tube preamp effects processor. That thing has some great sounds, but it is so versatile you have to have an aerospace engineering degree to understand programming it... Has enough factory presets that I can usually find a close sound for a song... like Alice in Chains "Would?" or ZZ Top "Tush".

Any recommendations on a versatile little amp that I can get a variety of sounds out of? Or should I be looking at a more friendly effects processor that can help me dial in some Dokken lead guitar and easily switch up to Stevie Ray Vaughn or Satriani or Santana?

Any advice welcome!! Thanks again for this site... for getting me fired up to play again!!

BOFH

• View Profile
Re: Amp recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 03:09:27 AM »
If you're just playing at home I can't recommend the Fender Mustang II highly enough, plenty of oomph for a home setup & can be mic'ed into a PA for a live set.

It's got a huge range of pre-programmed amp models & you can add your own with the included Fuse software.

R19voda

• View Profile
Amp recommendat
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 01:41:26 PM »
This is due to my lack of knowledge, but what exactly does gain do.  What kind of sound does it add.
MikeM answered you on your gain question.  Distortion is driving your amp increasing gain into distortion.  That will give you that heavy, crunchy sound.

Bigsteve

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 02:30:40 PM »
Another vote for the Fender Mustang my son has one and it has great tone and some great features

Yurichъ

• View Profile
    • Music For The Masses!
Re: Amp recommendat
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2016, 06:47:30 PM »
Some Polish guy keeps knocking my amp over and breaking it.

Bugera Veyron is a diamond, you can't just break it
USB здесь! Здесь все: Тагир, Стас, Юрич, Турбо и Эдуард Суровый 

paxxel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2016, 01:46:11 PM »
Another option for bedroom players is software simulation... nowadays sw like Bias FX totally kick ass and yo just need a PC/laptop, a decent audio interface and the software for getting an awesome variety of sounds. Just another opinion  ;)

Yurichъ

• View Profile
    • Music For The Masses!
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 05:27:31 PM »
First ever guitar processor was Rockman made by Tom Scholz. You can hear it on ZZ Top, Def Leppard and Boston records from 1980s. There's no amps there, just that blue box  ;)

Here's a dialogue with the late Mike Shipley: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/16210-how-soft-attack-clean-guitars-first-bars-hysteria.html

So you don't need boutique amps and expensive stuff to create a legendary sound. Modern processors have it all and then some  8)

Listen to this real hard: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUd3LAFXt5g

Some sound, ain't it? It's a processor sound, no amps. Read above if you don't believe it.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 06:26:18 PM by Yurichъ »

Yurichъ

• View Profile
    • Music For The Masses!
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2017, 07:06:08 PM »
Check out this one, brand new amp sim from Mercurial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjYlkCkr_rs

8)

Paul_R

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Today at 05:41:03 AM »
VT, if you're just practicing and not playing out somewhere, why would you need an amp?  Here's why I ask.  I have a tiny little practice amp. It was about $90. It plays loud enough in my apartment without disturbing anyone and it sounds just fine.  Why would I want to crank it if I'm only practicing and learning tunes?  But, I rarely even use that.  I have a nice $40 pair of earbuds. I plug my laptop headphone jack into my guitar toy and my earbuds from there on an extension cord. All the sound, none of the electrical use of an amp. I can control what I'm playing, stop it, work on a part of a tune, play it at half speed to get the rhythm, all in the convenience of sitting in front of my laptop.  Now, if I want to plug it into the amp, I can do that. And, I can play music through a better sound system and fill my apartment (and it's the quietest building I've ever seen in my life) and never bother anyone. But I don't have to crank it.  And, if you haven't noticed, laptops playing music through earbuds can crank the volume up!  I've listened to concerts and it felt like I was in the stadium.

My Les Paul cranks with the music and I'm rocking.  And nobody knows but me!  8)  Go to a music store and you can easily get something loud enough, if you need it, for $100, give or take, and it'll have features.

Check out these great video guitar lessons at GuitarTricks.com
Copyright 2017 - How To Create a Backing Track NEW! - Contact - ToS - Privacy - Lessons - FAQ - Custom Backing Tracks